Greener hair, what we’re doing to help the environment
Since MANE opened its doors in 2012 we’ve looked for ways to deliver beautiful hair that doesn’t cost the earth. We’ve monitored colour wastage, recycled, made our own natural cleaning solutions and opted to use Kevin Murphy products with their cruelty-free credentials. But we still didn’t feel this was enough.
When it came to the environment, we thought we could do more.
Our pursuit for a greener salon led us to Sustainable Salons, a revolutionary movement focussed on reducing the environmental footprint of the hair industry. As a member of this groundbreaking collective we are in a very real way, helping to protect the planet, feed the hungry and support our local community with these steps:
- The majority of our salon waste is sorted and recycled, keeping the materials in circulation and out of the ocean. 100% of our colour tubes, tin foil and plastic bottles are recycled, and our hair clippings are used in initiatives such as making hair booms to soak up oil spills, or gifted to local community gardens for composting. At the end of the week we have the tiniest landfill rubbish bag!
- Some items, such as metals, are able to be sold for recycling with the profits then donated to KiwiHarvest which provides meals for hungry people. A full head of foils provides quarter of a meal to someone in need!
- Chemical waste from hair colouring is collected and sent to a specialist recycling plant, where it’s neutralised and turned into recycled water for use in roadworks and construction.
- Whilst hair clippings are used in environmental initiatives, ponytails 20cm or longer are collected separately and delivered to charitable organisations that create wigs for those suffering from cancer or alopecia.
- Sustainable Salons provides purposeful work to people with disabilities in the community by employing them directly in their sorting and processing operations.
In addition to our partnership with Sustainable Salons we’ll continue to think creatively when it comes to helping the planet - from our biodegradable natural fibre towels to reusing product containers as brush and plant holders.
This means when you come to MANE for beautiful hair, you can leave feeling wonderful about your style as well as making a kinder environmental choice. If you have any other eco-friendly ideas that you think we should know about, we’re always here to listen, change and grow.